:: Re: [DNG] Request for Removal of sl…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Peter Olson
A: BohwaZ, Edward Bartolo
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Request for Removal of slim package from Devuan
> On May 29, 2016 at 10:46 AM Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:
> [...]
> I contest the idea that software has to be continuously developed.
> Eventually, proper development stop like what happens with a building.
> Then, maintenance follows. This means as long as software has bug
> fixes (maintenance), there would be no justified reason not to use it.

I would go a little further and suggest that the impetus to improve some software packages has had them improved to the point where they no longer work as well.

In the proprietary world it is the feature check box syndrome. Can't just leave a good working application alone, it has to have more check boxes checked that all its possible competitors.

It totally conflicts with the idea of 'do one thing and do it well'.

In the free software world, I'm not sure what drives this. There may still be some idea of market dominance. Ours is the best distro? I'm really puzzled.

I suppose that free software desktop environments for ordinary people seem to adopt UX ideas from the proprietary world with the idea that it makes the free software environments easy to adapt to. That doesn't mean these are UX ideas that have merit.

Peter Olson