:: Re: [DNG] Dng Digest, Vol 20, Issue…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: KatolaZ
A: emninger
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Dng Digest, Vol 20, Issue 138
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:28:49AM +0200, emninger@??? wrote:
> Am Thu, 26 May 2016 06:38:05 +0000
> schrieb Steve Litt <slitt@???>:
>
> > Before you do this, allow me to ask you this question: Do you want the
> > capability of respawning daemons that crash? OpenRC can't do that. If
> > you prefer respawning, consider using s3, daemontools-encore or even
> > Runit to manage your daemons.
>
> Hi Steve, thanks for the explanation.
>
> First, a question: sysvinit does
> respawning?

Yes, sysvinit does respawn. It has always been able to respawn. This
is actually why you get back again to the login prompt after you have
logged out from a console. Simply, the just-killed "getty" process
(which execv-ed into your login shell after you provided correct login
credentials) gets respawned by init.

$ man 5 inittab

> Personally, i'd like to *NOT* have it: I think it's better to restart a
> crashed service manually. Let's think of some bad configuration of a
> service/daemon, for example, in Void it would endlessly try to restart
> and fail ... (without automatic respawning one could leave the service
> there and try to reconfiugure it correctly).

sysvinit can also block a service from respawning too often. The
problem is that control over this policy is not so granular.

$ man 8 init

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]