:: Re: [DNG] Install a new kernel
Top Pagina
Auteur: KatolaZ
Aan: Antonio Trkdz.tab
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Install a new kernel
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 03:25:56PM +0100, Antonio Trkdz.tab wrote:

[cut]

> In a previous discussion Hendrick Boom suggested it as an easy solution,
> but do you recommend having mixed source (ascii/jessie)? I am afraid I
> could mess up my system regretfully in the long run....even if only for the
> kernel...

Mixing repositories is always a risky thing, unless you know exactly
what you are up to and how to get out of trouble, if trouble happens.

Having said that, I think you should not have too many problems
compiling a 4.x kernel with glibc-2.19 (the version you find in
Jessie). It is important that the kernel and glibc use the same ABI,
but this seems to be the case. You might miss the support for some
exceptionally new syscalls or options to syscalls if your glibc is too
old wrt the version of the kernel you want to use, but apart from that
you should be able to compile without problems.

I don't know whether you already are aware of it, but the best way to
compile a vanilla kernel on Debian/Devuas is through using
kernel-package, which compiles the kernel and produces a
ready-to-install .deb package.

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]