:: Re: [DNG] Evince
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Emacs as PID1, was Re: Evince
Subject: Re: [DNG] Evince
On Mon, 23 May 2016, Irrwahn wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2016 23:16:48 +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> > Le 23/05/2016 19:49, Jaromil a écrit :
> >> I have no use for a PDF
> >> viewer that can't print. Else I'd just use Emacs for that too ;^)
> >
> >      Indeed it does! I didn't even thought to try that. Looks like one
> > of these useless features in Emacs, given the number of pdf viewers, or
> > is it that Emacs wants to become a DE by itself. I read once it can also
> > send mails, and it can act as an IDE. I use it only to edit files - and
> > for Dr psychologist :-)

> There's this age-old joke:
>
> "Emacs is a great operating system, it lacks a good editor, though."

ahah, this list has been through enough and has enough mature people
around now that not even a flame on Emacs will start :^) incredible

> Maybe if someone could add some system init code and process
> supervision functionality to it, that would shed a whole new
> light on the current systemDebacle.

now one could argue that by using LISP or its dialect to build
something, no matter how big and invasive is, even as invasive as
systemd, it will never be as bad as if coding it in C.

This because of the nature of "dependencies" in LISP when written in
proper stateless form. This is one of the reasons I do love the effort
of GNU DMD (now renamed Sheperd) as a init system, because is written
in Guile (scheme dialect of LISP).

ciao