:: Re: [DNG] Brief OpenRC/Jessie Discu…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Brief OpenRC/Jessie Discussion on the linux-elitists lists
On Tue, 17 May 2016 14:33:03 +0200
Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> > > It obviously can't. The same Debian leadership who voted "no" (or
> > > was it "we don't need no steenkin GR") on supporting multiple
> > > inits now determines whether the OpenRC package is maintained or
> > > not. That's no foundation on which to build init choice freedom.
>
> [...]
>
> > Openrc is undermaintained in Debian not because of some cabal, but
> > because of manpower issues: no one does real work on it currently,
> > and its listed maintainers are hardly active.
>
> I agree. Most of Debian is made by volunteers whose reliability will
> be limited on the long-term. They are often students on their path to
> find a job and disappear from Debian, or professionals on their way to
> switch to OSX as soon as they get a laptop for free at work.

Point of clarification on what I said: I had no idea OpenRC was
currently undermaintained by Debian. I was simply stating my opinion,
basically, that I don't *trust* Debian to continue offering OpenRC, or
offering a working OpenRC. Rick apparently trusts the Debian project.
Jaromil and I, not so much.

I guess that's the bottom line for me. Rightly or wrongly, I don't
trust the motivations and future actions of the Debian project, so I
would never have my business depend upon Debian.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21