Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Brief OpenRC/Jessie Discussion on the linux-elitists lists
On Sun, 15 May 2016 23:22:07 +0200
Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2016, marc wrote:
>
> > http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/openrc-conversion.html
>
> what's wrong with these guys to call themselves linuxmafia?
>
> some of us are from places in which that word means prevarication,
> violence, misery and corruption. I've never been entertained by such a
> name, not even when it was about slackware packages. very bad taste.

Hi Jaromil,

I know Rick personally, and I'm very sure he meant no offense to
anybody. Although he can be rough on people he disagrees with, I've
never heard him say anything bad about groups of people nor imply in
any way that he's a hoodlum nor a criminal.

Rick has held the linuxmafia.com domain since at least 1999:

http://jhauser.dyndns.org:8080/archives/html/svlug/1999-02/msg00341.html

The word "mafia" isn't particularly insulting in the US: It reminds
Boomer-age Americans of the TV show "Untouchables", Frank Nitti, and Al
Capone, the latter of which has come down through the ages as a sort of
folk hero.

I see your point: If the URL were "linuxcrips.com" or
"linuxbloods.org", most Americans would react pretty much like you did.
But I'm sure Rick meant no offense to anyone: It just doesn't have the
same connotation in America.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21