:: Re: [DNG] Some questions re the dev…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Irrwahn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Some questions re the devuan release
On Sun, 15 May 2016 00:46:05 +0200, Emninger wrote:
> Am Sat, 14 May 2016 19:21:29 +0000
> schrieb Irrwahn <irrwahn@???>:
>
>> Short list of Devuan repository URLs:

<snip>
>> ## testing (ascii)
>> deb     http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged testing main contrib non-free
>> deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged testing main contrib non-free

<snip>

> Hi Urban, thanks for that list. At this moment i followed the advice of
> fsmithred and set in my sources.list all what before was Jessie to
> Ascii. Would that be reasonable from your point of view.

Hi,

I can only guess what is in your sources.list right now, but it
sounds reasonable. It should now look similar to the middle block
of my original list (still quoted above), with "testing" replaced
by "ascii". And possibly modulo the non-free part, depending on
your needs and mindset.

Just one quick additional note though: If you use the codename
"ascii" in source.list, your system will stay on ascii, even
after it will have turned into the stable branch eventually. If
that is what you intend, you should be fine.

> Or is there
> something to consider, eventually to keep from Jessie.

Oh, that's a hard one, as it totally depends on your setup and
needs. The following is just anecdotal evidence taken from my
particular system, please take it with a massive grain of salt!

As I already mentioned in an earlier message, I need the
non-free catalyst fglrx driver, which for reasons beyond my
knowledge is currently not available in neither testing nor
unstable. So I pull that one from Jessie.

Even though my kernel issue is resolved, thanks to your earlier
hint, I am keeping the 3.16 Jessie kernel around as a fallback
option, just in case.

Since the Devuan devs are currently throwing all their power
at getting the Jessie release in shape, some packages in Ascii
are lagging behind. (Examples: qemu-system-* still depends on
libpng12, which is only available from Jessie proper; upower
depends on a version of libimobiledevice4, which is not in
Ascii.) I expect such issues to go away naturally some time
after the Jessie release.

Moreover, ATM I am still pulling a few packages (namely cups,
gvfs and pulseaudio) from the 3rd party angband.pl nosystemd
repository in order to keep the functionality of these packages
without having any systemd dependencies creep into my setup.

OF COURSE, NONE OF THE ABOVE SHOULD BE TAKEN AS AN EXAMPLE TO
FOLLOW! I am aware of the risks, I took various precautions,
and I know how to pull myself out of the swamp in case
something really goes haywire. Other peoples mileage will (and
should!) vary vastly.

> In the past i
> was used to use unstable (either in crunchbang or in siduction) ...

I made the experience that things in Debian unstable break on a
regular basis, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the same for
Devuan. That's why it's called "unstable" after all. Personally,
that doesn't keep me from cherry-picking the occasional outlier
package from it, provided I at least think I know what I'm doing.

Bottom line: It all depends on how adventurous you are. Non-broken
packages move from unstable to testing on a regular schedule
anyway, so you'd usually only gain a few days or weeks of headstart
at the cost of stability.

My apologies for this overly lengthy post, I hope you don't mind.

Regards
Urban