:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Góra strony
Autor: Steve Litt
Dla: dng
Nowe tematy: [DNG] init-freedom package (was Re: OpenRC and Devuan)
Temat: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:18:13 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> Ideally, switching between init systems (e.g., reverting back to an
> init system which is known to work) should be achievable from a
> single-user root shell spawned as an emergency "init", using only a
> few executables in /bin and /sbin. Anything more complicated than that
> risks to become not that useful or even harmful in the long run, IMHO.

I was going to mention that. My understanding is that in Debian if you
install one init it removes the others. I like having multiple inits
for much the same reason many people have multiple kernels: You might
need to switch, you might need to A/B test, etc.

IMHO the package should install everything, and from what I understand
each init has completely different files than the others, and then
compile the pid1 to be runit.pid1 or s6.pid1 or epoch.pid1.

If so, then switching to, let's say, epoch, would be as simple as this:

cp -p /sbin/epoch.pid1 /sbin/init

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21