:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Página Principal
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Mon, 2 May 2016 22:15:44 -1000
Joel Roth <joelz@???> wrote:

> The problem with supporting multiple init systems is that
> there is an init script for each service that has to be
> ported or rewritten.
>
> Launching Devuan while maintaining the sysvinit status quo
> has already stressed the pool of volunteer manpower to the
> limit.
>
> So the practical way forward is to leave the task of
> developing init scripts for the alternative init systems
> to the users of those systems.

Yes yes yes yes YES!!!

It's a documentation task. If we had a wiki upon which users could
write their successful init scripts/run scripts/EpochConfigs etc, this
task would be removed from upstream developers, who never should have
had this responsibility in the first place.

> If someone would volunteer to coordinate the infrastructure
> needed to collect, systematize, debug and distribute the the
> tens or hundreds of scripts involved (one for each service),
> multiplied by the number of init systems to be supported,

I think the preceding can be accomplished by a wiki. The user clicks on
the desired init, then on the desired (for want of a better word)
daemon, and sees the proper init script/run script/EpochConfig. There
would be a place to edit a given init/daemon combination.

This wiki should be passworded so neither systemd fanatics nor whacko
out of control anti-systemd crazies can sabotage it. Perhaps give edit
rights by init system. For instance, you'd want me to have edit rights
for Runit, s6 and Epoch, but not for OpenRC, perp or nosh.

> I'm sure the Devuan project leads could consider in future
> ways to bring them into the Devuan package ecosystem.

Yes, and it could be done slowly, with no pressure.

> For those with time to invest, I would suggest the
> following:
>
> * determine a subset, those esssential services that, if supported,
> would allow a user to get a usable base system:
>
> * choose one or two best-of-breed init systems to work on,
> and provide infrastructure for collecting contributions
> for *all* init systems, even less popular ones.
>
> With cheers for the volunteers,

I might volunteer for Runit.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21