:: Re: [DNG] Could not resolve 'mirror…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: fsmithred
To: Daniel Reurich, Jaromil
CC: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Could not resolve 'mirror.cc.columbia.edu'
On 05/03/2016 04:54 AM, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 03/05/16 20:28, Jaromil wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 May 2016, fsmithred wrote:
>>
>>> I've been having trouble installing beta due to packages not
>>> downloading. This was with the netinstall, the CD and the DVD.
>>> Tonight, I couldn't do a debootstrap install because some packages
>>> wouldn't download. Also can't do update/upgrade of existing
>>> installation for same reason.
>>
>>> This error has come up a few times: Could not resolve
>>> 'mirror.cc.columbia.edu'
>>
>>> I tried changing sources.list to packages.devuan.org, but I still
>>> get the same error. Is there another address for a repo I can use
>>> that won't try to resolve to columbia.edu?
>>
>> while this may have been a problem of your network setup, it is true
>> that hickups may be experienced from time to time. We are monitoring
>> them and it seems they are due to the httpredir.debian.org hop that
>> amprolla does when packages are not into the devuan repo.
>>
>> nextime is working on a solution for this, but meanwhile re-trying
>> mostly leads to the solution of the problem, since httpredir will
>> rotate to another mirror.
>>
>> still I believe your problem here is due to dns configuration on
>> your side, since the mirror in question seems to resolve and work
>>
> We have a potential solution for this, can if you have a reliable in
> country debian mirror and can email me the details we can set up a
> redirect for your country code to use that mirror instead of debians
> httpredir
>
> Regards
>     Daniel.

Jaromil nailed it. I recently changed the dns I was using, and now that
I've changed it back, all is working smoothly.

If you want to know a reliable debian mirror in the northease US, this one
is good. (It's a replacement for the old debian.lcs.mit.edu.)

http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/

(Rant on) Are the only good dns servers on the planet the ones who are in
bed with spy agencies? I've tried several of the "open" ones, and I always
seem to have trouble with them. (Rant off)

Thanks for the quick help, guys.
-fsr