:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: KatolaZ
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Daniel Reurich
Υ/ο: dng@lists.dyne.org
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 09:24:42PM +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:

[cut]

> Absolutely, but for the average user, having /etc/init.d and /etc/openrc
> and /etc/wtf all there when using sysvinit (and not changing between
> init systems) is only going to lead to confusion. Being able to have
> them only installed when the init system is installed reduces the cruft
> left around - and the only way to do that is with triggers ala
> init-system-helpers and deb-helper shim for each init that's added to a
> package.

Agreed. But still, it would me much easier to maintain the whole mess
if each init system is isolated from the others, with no interactions
whatsoever. Different inits, separate scripts, separate directories.

> The bonus is that each init system can be implemented independently and
> the service packages have support built-in as people wanting their fav
> init system get it added in to the package. This will in most cases be
> a small patch adding the necessary init scripts and adding
> dh-<init-system> into debian/rules. No extra cruft will be installed on
> the end users system unless the user installs that init system.

This might become a bit of a mess, if I understood correctly, since we
would have to maintain either a package of scripts for each init
system, or thousands packages like "apache-scripts-sysv",
"apache-scripts-openrc", "apache-scripts-wtf".....

Why we don't just ship the init scripts for each system with the
corresponding service, install them "somewhere else" (e.g.,
/var/cache/sysvinit, /var/cache/openrc, /var/cache/wtf, as has been
already suggested by others) and then copy (or symlink) the
corresponding directory in /etc/ only when the user selects "wtf" as
init system? This could be managed much more easily by
update-alternatives, which has just to update two symlinks, e.g. he
one corresponding to /sbin/init and the one corresponding to it's
bloody scripts directory...

PrimoDevuanStabilisCreandaEst

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]