:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On 03/05/16 20:59, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 08:50:20PM +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>> This can all be handled in each package with the package triggers
>> enabled easily with a debhelper script similar to dh-systemd which makes
>> it easy to deploy init scripts/unit files/runscripts etc in their own
>> namespace and /etc/<init-system> and only deploy them when the init
>> system is installed and removes them when it is removed. This shifts
>> the burden to package maintainers, but that is the right place for them
>> and we can make it easy to add additional init-scripts by filing bugs
>> with patches.
>
> But do we really need all that complication? Couldn't we just leave
> the initscript of each init system in a different directory and *tell
> the init system* where they are to be found? This will allow a much
> easier coexistence of different confs.

Actually yes it will be much easier and cleaner that way and make
transitioning from one to another much simpler.

> Basically, everything related to sysvinit, stays in /etc/init.d, and
> sysvinit knows it has to look there. OpenRC stuff stays in
> /etc/openrc, and openrc knows it has to look there for its scripts.
> WFTinit stuff will stay in /etc/wtf, and WTFInit knows it has to look
> there for its stuff. We add the next-init-system, it will have its
> scripts in /etc/<the-next-init-system-damn-name>.

Absolutely, but for the average user, having /etc/init.d and /etc/openrc
and /etc/wtf all there when using sysvinit (and not changing between
init systems) is only going to lead to confusion. Being able to have
them only installed when the init system is installed reduces the cruft
left around - and the only way to do that is with triggers ala
init-system-helpers and deb-helper shim for each init that's added to a
package.

The bonus is that each init system can be implemented independently and
the service packages have support built-in as people wanting their fav
init system get it added in to the package. This will in most cases be
a small patch adding the necessary init scripts and adding
dh-<init-system> into debian/rules. No extra cruft will be installed on
the end users system unless the user installs that init system.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.