:: Re: [DNG] debootstrap requires key
Author: parazyd
To: Haines Brown
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] debootstrap requires key
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016, Haines Brown wrote:

> I apologize for being so slow, but problems abound. I decided to try the
> devuan installation with the installer ISO on a key. I used the
> devuan-jessie-i386-alpha4-netboot.iso. However, when it came time to
> download installation components from the devuan archive, it failed:
> "Bad archive mirror".
>
> The archive it tried was us.mirror.devuan.org. Shouldn't it be
> us.mirror.devuan.org? When I used debootstrap to produce the broken base
> system, it created a sources.list with the entry: deb
> http://debootstrap.invalid/ jessie main.
>
> As for your script, I remain lost (I'm not a programmer, but a social
> scientist). I don't know what the variable "device-name" refers
> to. Perhaps to the /dev/sda1 to which I'm trying to install devuan. I
> assume that second and third stage refer to phases in the installation
> process, but I have no idea what they are. If you are simply suggesting
> I rerun debootstrap several times, I actually did it at least twice, and
> still get the message that seems to imply my libc version is wrong.
>
> Perhaps my problem was that I unpacked the devuan.debian.tar.gz archive
> on the target /mnt/debinist/usr/share. If instead I run
>
> # dpkg -i debootstrap_1.0.75-1+devuan1_all.deb
>
> I fear it will overwrite the debootstrap on my current Wheezy Debian
> system and break it.

The debootstrap from devuan is safe to install. It differs only in
having a few bugfixes. Besides, you can always grab the package from
wheezy and overwrite.

Anyway, sorry if there is too much 'tech talk'. Try looking at this
forum thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/how-to-install-debian-using-debootstrap-4175465295/

A debootstrap system install has three stages, which you must complete
to get a working system. It's not running debootstrap multiple times,
but more like running debootstrap's flow(?)

Perhaps it helps more :)

--
~ parazyd
6CB4 6C63 641D B1F1 F811 5B3A BB5E 2E35 B92E 373E