:: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work witho…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work without systemd
Le 24/04/2016 20:17, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:38:04 +0100
> Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@???> wrote:
>
>> Steve Litt writes:
>>> I've never been afraid of sounding ignorant, especially when I'm
>>> right.
>> Uhm.
>>
>>> One more thing: I think this whole wm/de thing is a useless
>>> distinction that never should have been made.
>> I suppose I count as an old fart, because I was around twenty-plus
>> years ago, when it was made.
>>
>> So do you want a history lesson, or do you want to go on just being
>> right?
> I'm not sure the preceding sentence yields a mutual exclusivity, but
> yes, I really would like that history lesson, as this is something that
> has bothered me for a long time.
>
> SteveT

     I would say that the minimal DE is startx, others feature at least
some menu and/or panel; all need a window manager (actually Xwindow
requires a window manager) and all support the concept of a session with
a startup and a termination. At least that's how I see how the concepts
pile up; am I wrong?

     Didier

     Didier