:: Re: [DNG] Printing -- now even pdf …
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Printing -- now even pdf works. I have no idea why.
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
> [...]

[...]

>> That's exactly how a lpr/lpd system works, too.
>     I don't remember lpr can present you a list of printers, telling
> where they are, which kind of paper, page size and double-side they
> handle, if they're ready to print and if they're lacking ink. Not all
> of this actually works well in Cups, but at least it has this
> ambition.

Provided a printer supports supplying this information, you'll get that
with lprng, too (provided there's bidirectional communication with a
printer, it can send a text status).

[...]

>     With lpr you must manually edit a config line for every single
> printer you want to be able to ever use, and every computer in your
> company must be configured everytime they add or remove a printer.

A networked 'printing system' based on lprng would usually use a (or
some) dedicated spooling server(s). These would be configured such that
they can talk to some printer or printer(s). These printers can then
just be used, eg, this

[rw@doppelsaurus]~#lpq -Pall@192.168.1.1
Printer 'all@192.168.1.1' - cannot open connection - Connection timed
out Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
and accepts connections from this host and from non-privileged (>1023)
ports

asks my router to give me the queue status of all printers attached to
it. Since it's not running a print server, the request fails.

BTW, I didn't claim that lprng was feature-wise on par with CUPS, just
that it also has a job transmission program (lpr), configurable format
conversion programs and a 'send job to printer' backend. And it's
certainly amply sufficient for simple scenarios where one (or a few)
user(s) uses (share) a single printer. Especially if those users don't
mind using something else than "the cavemen interface" ("You point and
you grunt", E. Moglen [IIRC]).