:: Re: [DNG] Systemd criciticized for …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Brad Campbell
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Systemd criciticized for malfunctioning OS
On 18/04/16 23:33, Steve Litt wrote:

> By the way, if he were initting with Runit this would be sooooo trivial
> to troubleshoot, because with Runit there's no place you can't put your
> voltage probe.

There! Right there. That quote : "because with Runit there's no place
you can't put your voltage probe.". That's the gold I've been looking
for. It perfectly sums up the problem. Fault finding is orders of
magnitude easier with instrumentation, and with existing init systems
you can *easily* instrument them, step them or completely manually
iterate the process. Systemd makes that considerably harder* and makes
the process more opaque.

* I won't say impossible because there may be some way of doing it that
I've not found (not that I've looked very hard because systemd puts the
bar at a level I have little inclination to try and get over).