:: Re: [DNG] s6: was What do we want f…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] s6: was What do we want for ascii ?
Le 18/04/2016 18:48, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:31:51 +0200
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
>>       Any news of s6? I'm afraid Laurent has leaved the list, either
>> because he didn't like our disussions or because he was upset by his
>> emails from dynamic address being rejected.
> My understanding is the newest thing is s6-rc, which I understand is
> just like s6 except it enables ordered process startup on boot.

> I've used s6. It's a heck of a lot like Runit, which I use every day,
> except s6 is a tiny more sophisticated, and in s6 the process
> supervisor is in PID1, not in a separate process like in Runit.
>
> <opinion>
> Just like Runit, s6 can easily be installed on Devuan (but not Debian),
> by a fairly knowledgeable user, because the sysvinit it replaces is a
> small, encapsulated module. The real beauty of this is you can "dual
> init", where if your grub init reference is /sbin/init, you do a
> sysvinit, whereas if it's /sbin/runit, you init via Runit. You can go
> back and forth with every boot. If several Devuan users do this DIY
> change of init, it will provide valuable insight into other inits, in
> case at a later date Devuan decides to move off of sysvinit.
>
> NOTE: I'd suggest installing runit or s6 direct from their projects,
> and not from any Debian->Devuan packages. The packages would remove the
> possibility of dual init, and the packages likely won't work.
> </opinion>
>
> SteveT

     I apologize to people who consider this topic is going a little too
far for what is the unstable version of Devuan, but, Steve, let's
consider that you can have several display managers installed, gdm3,
kdm, lightdm, slim, all of them if you want, and invoking
dpkg-reconfigure lets you choose the one in function. Similarly, dpkg
could just edit a symlink called "init". Everytime you install a new
init system dpkg asks you which one you want to be in function. Then, if
you want to bypass it, you can modify the kernel argument - I don't know
how to do that with grub2. Maybe dpkg could configure grub so as to give
you an entry for every installed init system.

     Didier

     Didier