:: [DNG] asteroids and release names.
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Alte Treads: Re: [DNG] What do we want for ascii ?
Betreff: [DNG] asteroids and release names.
On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:41:28AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:13:13 +0000
> Noel Torres <envite@???> wrote:
>
> > My Excel macros are a bit slow today (Yes, I said Excel, I use that
> > at work) so I started wondering...
> >
> > What do we (the DNG people) want for ascii ?
> >
> > My list starts as this:
> > * full init freedom, that is, all init methods being equally
> > supported (sysv, upstart, systemd) and nothing depending on any of
> > them.
> > * our own bug reporting system
> > * a method for dividing Devuan in "cases" or "eggs" that do not
> > interfere with each other. E.g. the KDE egg, the LibreOffice egg,
> > the multimedia egg... maybe tasks with steroids?
> > * a rock-solid server platform for all architectures
> > * a sufficiently solid desktop and laptop platform for most usual
> > architectures
> > * Long Term Support for server whit a method for fast updating
> > certain packages (like virus lists)
> >
> > What do YOU want for ascii ?
>
> I must have missed a step. Ascii is an 7 bit character encoding code
> where space is decimal 32, and tilde is decimal 126, 10 is Linefeed, 13
> is Carriage Return, 48 is 0, 65 is A, and 97 is a. How do all your
> bullet points relate to such a code?

Ascii is an asteroid named after that code.. And devuan should
certainly run when one's computer is on an asteroid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3568_ASCII
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=3568+ASCII#content

Different names of asteroids seem to appeara on the different database.

Ascii does not appear on the lists of asteroids and minor planets at
http://www.nofs.navy.mil/festsci/list/astname.html or
http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/lists/MPNames.html

ceres, by the way, is an asteroid too, on both lists.

I haven't found jessie on the asteroids name list at
http://www.nofs.navy.mil/festsci/list/astname.html,
but did find Jessiecheng. Jessie is on the list at the minor planet
center.

On the JPL small body database browser, I find

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=1+CERES#content
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=3568+ASCII#content
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=10464+JESSIE#content

-- hendrik