:: Re: [DNG] Debian is no longer GNU/L…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian is no longer GNU/Linux?
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 06:18:49PM +0300, Lars Noodén wrote:
> > I believe that the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is a relatively old project,
> > indeed (it dates back to 2009, IIRC), even if it looks abandoned at
> > the moment (or not actively developed, at least). I don't know whether
> > they are now reviving it...
>
> There is still ongoing work on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, but there was a
> decision by the others to not include it as an official architecture:
>
> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/66034-systemd-again?-debian-drops-kfreebsd-as-official-architecture
>
> Perhaps systemd played a role in that decision by the others.

There were both real and bullshit reasons for dropping kfreebsd:

* real: the port legitimately lacks manpower: bugs stood unfixed, not enough
people stood up to do the work to keep the port in a good shape

* bullshit: most of that work was caused by regressions due to systemd
(meant widely -- incl systemdization of FreeDesktop components)

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.