:: Re: [DNG] suspend
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] suspend
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 08:04:40 +0000 (UTC)
Trond Arild Ydersbond <t_a_ydersbond@???> wrote:

> +1
>
> I wonder if two new lists could be helpful, in addition to what is
> planned:
>

> 1. dng-oppftopic - for the rants, systemd general stuff,
> debian-related, public discussions
>
>    about Linux etc etc
> 2. dng-users    - for support, discussion of more special issues, toy
> projects that

>    are not necessarily very significant for devuan as a whole etc.

> Then it would be easier to filter on a per topic, rather than per
> user basis?
>
> Trond

Splitting a mailing list greatly reduces its power as a meeting of the
minds.

What I've found, and your mileage may vary, is that if a few of
somebody's posts bore you or anger you, *most* of that person's posts
bore or anger you. And I've also found that, with very few exceptions,
people whose posts annoy you convey little truly valuable information.
So it costs little to /dev/null by person.

I use Procmail, so it's pretty easy for me to /dev/null by subject, if
the subject goes on too long.

So how bout this: If you enjoy a given person's posts, listen to them,
respond to them, trying your best not to perpetuate flame wars. If they
bore or anger you, all I ask is instead of flaming the person onlist,
you either /dev/null them (this is my choice) or write them privately.
That way we won't have constant flame wars, with the attendant constant
suggestions to split the list.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21