:: [DNG] lists (was: suspend)
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng\@lists.dyne.org
Subject: [DNG] lists (was: suspend)
Trond Arild Ydersbond <t_a_ydersbond@???> writes:
> I wonder if two new lists could be helpful, in addition to what is planned:
>

> 1. dng-oppftopic - for the rants, systemd general stuff, debian-related, public discussions
>
>    about Linux etc etc
> 2. dng-users    - for support, discussion of more special issues, toy projects that

>    are not necessarily very significant for devuan as a whole etc.

The way DNG presents itself, it suggests to be a list for pretty general
discussions, including issues which are more about (software-)related
policy than anything technical. In itself, this shouldn't be a problem
and there was actually *a lot* more of that in the past. These are issue
people may want to discuss for entirely sensible reasons and creating an
open list like this with the known general direction was bound to
attract them. If this is undesired, killing it off altogether and
replacing it with something focussed on Devuan development and use or
'development here' 'use there' would a good idea.

Regardless of this, picking a recent example, there's nothing wrong with
people asking (relatively) simple questions about C programming (or
others answering these questions) because they happen to work on C code
for/ inspired by Devuan. In my opinion, trying to be helpful in face
of such question is a much better idea than the usual 'RFTM! RTFFAQ! Go
away lowly protozoon!' etc and providing people an opportunity to do so
safely(!), that is, without running the risk to set of J. Random
Digestive-Problem who then goes onto his usual, verbal murdering spree,
might also be helpful in the long run.

NB: This is a suggestion and the parody-style elements are meant to make
it appear more lightweight (which probably won't work with at least some
people ...).