:: Re: [DNG] ...and when trolling went…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng\@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] ...and when trolling went too far
Trond Arild Ydersbond <t_a_ydersbond@???> writes:
> Simon Hobson <simon@???>:
>
>>Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@???> wrote:
>>> Sorry to ruin the party, but I'll object to it because its just not a
>>> nice thing to do, and its an awful thing to mess up content on the fine
>>> site that is wikipedia.
>
>>+1 for that
>>Regardless of what people think of him, it's not a grown up or pleasant thing to do.
>
> I would put it even stronger: People like us should actively work on
> sanitizing the public information/discussion space in this special
> area. If we don't,

then so what? A real lot of more-or-less disagreeable things happen on
this planet all of the time and I don't feel particularly responsible
for any of them, including unknown people editing Wikipedia pages for
unknown reasons. If I'm required to have an opinion on that (and I
really prefer not to), politicians having staff members responsible for
nothing but 'cleaning' their Wikipedia-appaerance such that it conveys
the desired impression is a lot worse than this. OTOH, I'm not
unsurprised by that and I don't expect the sky to fall because of it
anytime soon.

> we can't complain if such childish actions as this
> Wikipedia messing is used against us: "You saw it happen, and didn't
> do anything about it, so we assume you support it" is of course not
> valid reasoning, but it is not entirely without merit either.

Every propaganda lie is useful to someone. But the invalid reasoning (or
rather, complete lack of reasoning) remains invalid nevertheless. Mr P
certainly earns enough money to have his own staff of Wikipedia cleaners
so let them worry about that. End of this story.