:: Re: [DNG] Another multi-user issue
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Another multi-user issue
Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@???> writes:
> Please consider setting the default /etc/fstab to include:
>
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults,hidepid=2

> This has the effect of keeping the specific activities, process ids,
> command lines and parameters of a user from other users.

If you think that's useful to you, why don't you just use it. It's not
useful to me[*] and - IMHO - generally useless on any system where more
than one user with privileged access works on a cooperative projects.

[*] "Everyday real-world example": One of the things I'm dealing with is
a proprietary racoon fork part of a VPN product for mobiles (hefty
simplification). I usually don't work on code as root but in case I need
to run a debugging session, I have to run the debugger as root as it
will need to be able to control a privileged process, namely, the IKE
daemon. Being prevented from seeing my own processes via ps because they
happen to be running with elevated privileges would at least be a
nuisance.