:: [Frei0r] Improving Contribution Mec…
Author: Simon Eugster
To: salsaman
CC: Minimalistic plugin API for video effects
Subject: [Frei0r] Improving Contribution Mechanism (Was: Minor bug in a plugin (timeout.cpp))
Haha, thanks for the note, Salsaman. I did not even remember I have written
this plugin.

Now I would like to submit a patch and improve it a bit as well, as I
already got my fingers dirty again, but it feels like pre-internet:
1. http://code.dyne.org/frei0r (which I found first) does not provide a git
URL anywhere, or at least not at an obvious place
2. Found https://www.dyne.org/software/frei0r/ – URL is here, but for some
reason I cannot push anymore, so let’s check out the contribution section
3. There is no contribution section :( After reading through the whole
page, I finall found “Communication” where it says that you can fork from a
non-official repository (from an outside perspective) on GitHub, and maybe
it will be merged in case somebody notices

In a nutshell, contributing is a pain, compared to today’s standards, and
it looks like we don’t want other people to contribute anyway.

My suggestion:
1. Move development to GitHub so we have immediate access to a huge number
of developers and encourage them to hack on frei0r. Plus, we have issue
tracking.
The main repository may still remain on dyne.org as backup or whatever—no
problem with git anyway.
2. Create an organisation for frei0r (or dyne) on GitHub so we can easily
grant push permissions. I did this with https://github.com/slowmoVideo as
well.
I can help with the setup, if you want.

What do you think about it?