:: [DNG] installer debug logs
Author: Boruch Baum
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] installer debug logs
I thought this was a very nice touch, to have in the installer, so I
tried it!

Time to quibble:

1] The feature lacks instructions, which would be an obstacle for it to
be performed by those who probably would most want to perform it - the
least experienced users.

2] I was expecting the obvious option, and was surprised it wasn't
offered. For me, the most obvious option would be to offer to
save the logs to the install media's FIRMWARE parition, which
had earlier been mounted in order to install the non-free firmware.

3] Currently, in order to use the feature, the installer silently tells
the user to open up an ash shell:
+ mount # looks like the 'Firmware' partition no longer mounted
+ ls -l /dev/disk/by-label # identify 'Firmware' partition
+ mkdir /mnt/Firmware # mountpoint on ramdisk
+ mnt /mnt/Firmware /dev/sda2 # YMMV
+ return to the installer and save the debug logs to /mnt/Firmware

4] minor bug: the progress bar for 'save debug log' does not
disappear after continuing to other menu options (eg. execute a
shell).

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1 7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0