:: Re: [DNG] Packaging Vdev
Author: aitor_czr
To: Daniel Reurich, Didier Kryn, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Packaging Vdev
Hi again,

On 03/20/2016 09:08 AM, Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>> >You were just suggesting that it would be ok to "leave it like this until you can get
>> >it to work and then switch to a normal file hierarchy when ready".
>> >
>> >I'm just stating that I disagree with your premise that creating a package that breaks policy is acceptable "until you can get it to work".
>> >
>> >If vdev doesn't work already then it's to early to be packaging it. However indications are that it does work and thus it should be properly packaged.
>> >
>> >As for testing it should minimally be able to be used successfully debootstrap a new system and also to replace udev on a running system without seriously breaking anything.
>> >
>> >Once it does that we should put it in experimental for wider testing.
>> >
>       Daniel, my point was just practical, although it's obviously
> Aitor's buzyness.

>       Jude organized his install process so as to put the files under
> /usr/local, so that testers could easily test it without interferring
> with the hotplugger in function. As such, the package does not need to
> exclude Udev.  I tested Vdev with the normal file hierarchy, in a tiny
> OS Busybox-based, and I didn't read any report of anyone else having
> done so.

>       Several months ago, when I stopped testing Vdev in this way, it was
> working fine. But the latest version isn't working properly and I don't
> know the reason. I cannot exclude that the reason is in handling the
> file hierarchy. Vdev manages a lot of files, much more than Udev. OTOH I
> didn't read any report of a successful test of this latest version under
> /usr/local.

>       This is why I suggested to go step by step and not build blindly a
> final version of the package which would force the removal of Udev and
> replace it with something which doesn't work. But,
> again, this was just a friendly suggestion to Aitor, who probably
> doesn't need it. And this suggestion caused a useless discussion which
> is why I regret to have made it.

>       Didier

Ok, being my first atempt, i will respect Jude Nelson's original
location in "/usr/local" and leave this point for later. Debian's policy
isn't a priority now. This also will make the job easier. So, for the
time being, i will skip dh_usrlocal with [*]:

binary:
        dh binary --before dh_usrlocal
        dh binary --after dh_usrlocal

After testing the packages, we will take up this discussion again, if it's agreeable to you.

Thanks to all of you,

Aitor.

[*] Rainer Weikusat (Dng Digest, Vol 11, Issue 86)