:: Re: [DNG] sup - a "small is beautif…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] sup - a "small is beautiful" tool for UNIX privilege escalation
Dave Turner <dave_t_turner@???> writes:
> On 17/03/16 17:32, Jim Murphy wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 5:14 AM, Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:
>>> dear devuaneers, suckless hackers and friends of simplicity
>>>
>> --- clipped
>>> Basically sup is an hard-coded sudo.
>>>
>>> I adopted the software (wrote a mail to pancake, pending response) and
>> ---- clipped the rest
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As an FYI: "sup" is not a unique name.
>>
>> sup[1] Software Upgrade Protocol version 20100519-1

[...]

> Would anybody like to do a compare and contrast with 'doas' in
> OpenBSD? OpenBSD were so vexed by sudo they ditched it and started
> from scratch.

Given enough time, Theo de Raadt and his band of very merry men will
reimplement they didn't originally write. Which makes them preciously
little different from all the other bands of "Can't understand any code
written in a style different from my own! What a fucking mess!! Let's
start from scratch and do it right this time!!!" people, the self-styled
'systemd cabal' included.

Also like all these groups, they have a large group of non-developer
fans who firmly believe that their code alone is magic(ally free of
bugs) and anybody else's efforts are futile.