:: [Libbitcoin] quick update on libbit…
Góra strony
Autor: Eric Voskuil
Dla: libbitcoin
Nowe tematy: [Libbitcoin] Proper handling after unexpected shutdown?
Temat: [Libbitcoin] quick update on libbitcoin 3.0
Just a quick update on the state of work on libbitcoin 3.0.

We've been working for a while on initial block download (IBD) in
libbitcoin-node/server. This began with work on libbitcoin-network,
which has been extracted from libbitcoin into a distinct repo. Work has
more recently progressed to libbitcoin-database, which has been split
out from libbitcoin-blockchain.

We've achieved our first ever fully parallel IBD. Headers are downloaded
first, then blocks in parallel across multiple peers (9 in this run).
The file-mapped memory database now allows concurrent block write,
necessary for getting the benefit of concurrent download.

My test run used a 5+ year old quad core Windows machine with an HDD and
an SSD data drive and 8GB RAM and fast Internet connectivity. The test
run completed in 2.0 hours without interruption.

I consider this a baseline from which to apply further optimizations.
Currently there is limited peer selection and balancing, so the slowest
peer dominates the completion time. Rough calculations imply that we
should be able to get this down to 1.0 hours on this same machine.

Memory consumption during sync is consistent and reasonably predictable,
depending mainly on peer performance. Memory climbs fairly linearly from
about 30MB to about 250MB at current peak rate. This compares to about
numbers in the several GB range for version2 IBD. Blocks are no longer
buffered, so there is no opportunity for memory to grow uncontrollably.

As with memory, CPU utilization climbs fairly linearly from about 25% to
about 75%. This implies that 8 cores and a modern processor/bus may
significantly improve performance. This combined with peer management
optimizations should give libbitcoin the < 1 hr startup that we've been
targeting.

Network utilization is very reasonable and based primarily on peer
performance. You wouldn't likely notice it operating in the background.

Finally, disk space for the indexed mainnet blockchain, without address
or stealth history, is just under 90GB. This includes anew feature to
reduce the file size when the process is closed, since there is
preallocation of unused space. So currently one should expect a 50%
expansion during execution, so about 150GB to be safe. Address and
stealth history will slow operation and expand store size, which I
haven't measured recently.

I'll be pushing this latest work to master in the next couple of days.
Note that the node/server do not fully implement post-IBD sessions, so
the server effectively halts at the completion of IBD. Use the version2
branch for release functionality.