:: [DNG] Categorical Confusion (was: …
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Categorical Confusion (was: systemd==bad)
Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

[...]

> Why this is important is that, to the extent this is perceived as an
> age thing (with the must-have pejorative "neckbeard" or "graybeard"),
> you give PoetterPoser more credibility when he characterizes systemd
> resistance as "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

As far as I can tell, I'm probably somewhat older than Lennart
Poettering. Does this now mean I'm old? OTOH, I'm somewhat younger than
Linus Torvalds, so, am I now young? As additional complication, I
probably encountered Linux at roughly the same age Poettering did, yet,
to me, it was first and foremost an opportunity to learn about an
interesting new way of solving certain old problems, while he based
his career on replacing things done in a way he'd never do them himself
by things done by him. So, am I now the old poodle incapable of learning
a new trick or is he the new poodle nobody can teach any old tricks?

Or are 'old' and 'young' (or 'new') just ill-defined categories with no
inherent bearing on the issue under discussion (but very useful for
divide-et-impera)?.