:: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's f…
Author: Dave Turner
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A heads up about xfce's future
On 28/02/16 13:22, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I think the above is closest to my views on the matter.
> Which window manager and desktop environment I choose to use is up
> to me and nothing for devuan to worry about.
> I use xfce a lot and would like it to work on devuan, but don't
> waste valuable time on it.
> Am I mistake? Am I perhaps only dreaming that I'm using xfce on
> devuan jessie? Or is there some technical issue I'm unaware of?
>
>> I'm old enough to cope quite well with twm, I like using ctwm, and I
>> really like fluxbox.
>
> I like icewm, too, and will be trying the others you mention just in
> case I'm missing something I'm not yet aware of.
>
> I tried lxde and didn't like it -- somehow the mouse became just
> slightly jerky and slightly unresponsive. Not lear how WM would cause
> this -- maybe it does permanent mouse tracking in a way that incurs
> overhead?
>
> -- hendrik
>
>> Typing startx on the command line should not be beyond anybody who
>> wants to try devuan.
>> I even persuaded the normal people that use my iMac to do it for a while!
>>
>> DaveT

Hendrik,

twm is OLD. Called Toms Window Manager, sometimes The Window Manager
because it was one of the first proper working window managers. I
guarantee a WTF? moment if you have never tried it before!
ctwm is twm but with tabs so you can have multiple desktops.
For completeness fvwm is similar but gives you a window on a massive
desktop, it is the default for OpenBSD.
fluxbox is a proper modern easy to use window manger but with no bloat.
For them all, right-click on the desktop to get anything useful done!

I found that for what I wanted to do on devuan I needed ceres
'unstable'. It became tedious with xcfe and multiple updates that kept
breaking other things.
Now I use devuan ceres command line only as xen dom0. Getting a working
xen domU is a bit more challenging but I'm getting there!