:: Re: [DNG] Speaking of Window Manage…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Nate Bargmann
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Speaking of Window Managers
* On 2016 26 Feb 23:05 -0600, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's info on dmenu:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dmenu
>
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/dmenu
>
> http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/201406/201406.htm#use_faster_tools_dmenu
>
> Just for fun, I'd like some opinions. If a Window Manager were
> integrated with Dmenu (which is trivially easy usually), what hotkeys
> would you recommend, given that keys can be alt, ctrl, shift, alt-ctrl,
> alt-shift, ctrl-shift, and even alt-ctrl-shift?
>
> Hotkey to bring up Dmenu?

Presuming it's the same as the menu button in Xfce and others, Ctrl-Esc
is one I got used to in the Windows world and seems to work, although in
Xfce it brings up the menu next to the mouse pointer.

> Hotkey to bring up window list sorted by workspace?

Not sure, I know that middle mouse button brings it up in Xfce.

> Hotkey to bring up window manager menu?

Is that the window menu as with clicking the window icon? For that
Alt-Space works in Xfce.

> Hotkey to toggle laptop mousepad on and off?

Disabled in BIOS. I used Trackpoint only.

> Hotkey to close a window (Alt+F4 sucks in my opinion)

That is fairly universal. Some apps close with Ctrl-Q or Alt-X, but
that's the whole app and not just a window.

I am used to CtrL-Alt-Left|Right to switch workspaces as well as
Ctrl-Fx to jump to a specific workspace.

So long as things are configurable, several "themes" could be provided.
That way those of us used to keys learned in the Windows World which
have then been supported by the Linux desktops, can continue to work
with minimal pain.

- Nate