:: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 01:02:28 +0100
aitor_czr <aitor_czr@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Did you watch the following video?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfKGXQnxIvE&list=PLV5TRjrpiwATav0Dlhd_GRjc2ZRuV26kR
>
> A conference by a system administrator interrupted by Lennart
> Poettering (at the end of that).

Aitor, this video is a classic in the world of the systemd-resistance.
Over on GoLUG IRC, one of my systemd-hating buddies and I greet each
other with "Do you hate disabled people?".

The presenter, who has a much less firm grasp on English than
Poettering, nevertheless at 24:50 the presenter makes Poettering look
incredibly stupid with the line "Do you know what shellscripts are?"

Over a year ago, on my systemd debating page, I wrote a section on
debating Poettering himself, and that section refers heavily to the
video you mention:

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/systemd/debating.htm#debating_poettering

This video is a must for any sans-systemd people who admit they don't
use systemd, because they will surely be attacked for it. Watching this
video is like watching videos of the opposing team the week before you
play them: You know what they're going to hit you with.

Poettering's technique is the moot technology alligator death roll,
alternating with the ad-hominem attack. When I say "moot technology
alligator death roll", what I mean is that just like the alligator tries
to make the fight happen underwater where he has the complete
advantage, Poettering tries to make the fight happen in the bowels of
systemd where he has the complete advantage. He'll tell you why outcome
A can be achieved by systemd, and then explains exactly how it's done
in systemd. If you follow him down that path, you're dead: He's
systemd's author: You just know Linux. He'll drown you in a sea of
details from which you'll never escape. So instead, you point out a
trivially simple alternative way. You've escaped his moot technology
alligator death roll, so now he hits both you and your simple
alternative with an ad-hominem.

There's a beautiful example of this in the video. At 24:52 the
presenter escapes Poettering's moot technology alligator death roll
(gluing locale, networking, and other stuff to the display manager)
with the words "Do you know what shellscripts are?" Not only did he
escape the death roll, but Poettering was on the canvas for ten
seconds, before he managed a weak ad-hominem ("well I mean come on, it's
a discussion he kind of likes it don't you?")

I recommend everyone who is serious about running sans-systemd view
this video, several times.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key