:: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon Wise
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
On 21/02/16 07:58, Mitt Green wrote:

>      Edward Bartolo wrote:

>> I think systemd is aimed at desktop users assuming that most
>> Linux users are also desktop users.
>
> LOL, since when most Linux users are desktop users?
> Linux market share on desktop is around 1-2%, while on
> servers open-source operating systems maintain around 90%
> (count here BSD's also) - different sources, ye know, not
> exact numbers.
>

> There is also TOP500 list, the latest one shows 494 supercomputers
> using Linux and 6 - AIX. Funny enough, CentOS has much more
> installations than RHEL (54 against ~10). And one more
> interesting fact, there is only one RHEL7 installation,
> others (from this family) are RHEL6 and CentOS6, which, as ye
> know, have sysvinit. This can be inaccurate, since on 332 machines
> 'tis written just Linux. For more info visit top500.org.

or look at the use of linux in embedded systems, on various hardwares, with or
without a GUI interface of some sort which anyway is often web based.

or look at the numbers of mobile devices running Linux with android as GUI (and
also replacing much of the unix-like stack)

or consider the number of low-end laptops running Linux with Chromebook as GUI

also ... if you consider desktops with a windowing GUI on top of a unix system
then linux loses the numbers game to OSX.

Much of the madness of debian going systemd is exactly that desktop usage is a
very small part of linux, and desktop style usage of computers is fading fast.

Simon