:: Re: [DNG] Coreutils 8.25 ls output
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Aldemir Akpinar
A: Steve Litt
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Coreutils 8.25 ls output
On Tuesday, 16 February 2016, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:07:35 +0200
> Aldemir Akpinar <aldemir.akpinar@??? <javascript:;>> wrote:
>

> My response is unresponsive to your question, aldemir, but this is
> something I've given lots of thought to in the past. I quote from the
> referenced web page:

> I just noticed that on one of my machines (running Debian Sid)
> whenever I type ls any file name
> with spaces has single quotes surrounding it.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^

My question was obviously a rhetorical one. And I aggree that ideally
filenames shouldn't have whitespaces in them however real world is far from
ideal.
The point I was trying to make was, I think we are seeing a pattern here
just like systemd debate. While it's effect is relatively minor in this
example some developer thinks forcing such stuff on people is ok.
Especially on a tool like ls.
I remember similar arguments with journald, where even the systemd fanboys
complained, and the response was, "but you caan always switch it off" . And
now they tell us to add such
and such switch to our aliases to work as we would normally. Who
knows what 8.25 will break.
And also I'm thinking what's the next surprise gonna be.
--
Aldemir

aldemir