:: Re: [DNG] Coreutils 8.25 ls output
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng\@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Coreutils 8.25 ls output
Aldemir Akpinar <aldemir.akpinar@???> writes:

[...]

>> BTW: 'Console' and 'terminal' are two rather different things.
>>

> Doesn't your init scripts run on the console?

'The system console' is an I/O device the kernel and scripts started
during boot will use for "user interaction", ie, print output supposed
to be useful for someone looking at it and possibly, request input from
such a someone. This will usually be a terminal device but it doesn't
strictly have to. The crucial point here is that "terminal" usually
refers to an interactively used (virtual) device providing facilities
for text-based user interaction. The system console will usually be
one. xterms act as terminal (as do all kinds of other programs providing
'a CLI interface') but it's always about user interaction. Programs
don't usually use terminals to talk to other programs (with some
exceptions, eg, using expect to drive an interactive program accessed
via ssh, to name an at least remotely "not ancient" example).