:: Re: [DNG] Migration to devuan Jessi…
Author: Simon Wise
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Migration to devuan Jessie failed on rpi-zero
On 08/02/16 07:15, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Gregory Nowak<greg@???> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 07:26:27PM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
>>> I recently got one of those new raspberry pi zero. The little thing
>>> should have exactly the same hw of the first version of rpi. Hence, I
>>> thought I could have migrated it swiftly from raspbian (jessie) to
>>> devuan, and I was eager to post my report here.
>>
>> My understanding is that both the rpi0 and rpi1 are based on a ARMv6
>> chip, which makes them closer to armel than to armhf. So, I'm afraid
>> you're stuck with raspbian for now.
>
> The armhf wiki states that
>
>     The lowest worthwhile CPU implementation is ARMv7-A

> but ARMv6 surely includes a FPU.

raspbian is in between armel and armhf because debian armel is (or was then)
compiled without hard float support while debian armhf is compiled for arm7 ...
so since PIs are arm6 with FPU neither is suitable ... raspbian is compiled to
suit PIs. It was also made very lean, essentially for console use with X
available when desired via startx or vncserver over a local connection.

I think it may have quite a lot of modifications in the graphics area since the
chip has its graphics processor on board, and it is broadcoms, and its specs are
not fully released, and the raspberry team has very deep knowledge of this part
(one of them at least was on the development team for it).

I have mucked about a bit with its multimedia capacities ... both nice and
frustrating at the same time. I believe is a platform that suits their release
formats as a fairly bare board with minimal peripherals for incorporation in DIY
embedded systems quite well. It can also be used by experienced people willing
to put time into making a single purpose kiosk style setup. But anyone hoping
for a cheap, open general computer will be frustrated. It is quite a good
learning tool though, since the community is big and helpful.

Simon