:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: fsmithred
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI
On 02/05/2016 08:48 PM, Joel Roth wrote:
> Didier Kryn wrote:
>>
>>     The ability to brick the motherboard is brand new. Therefore admins
>> should be seriously protected and warned against this eventuality, at least
>> until it percolates into the general culture.

> IIUC, this means malware will now be able to not only
> erase, but to render its targets unbootable.
> Also creating a new hardware recovery business.
> It seems somewhat bleak. Am I overreacting?

Go with the flow, dude. It's worth the risk of malware for the benefit of
having your vendor push firmware updates whenever they want. (Did I get
that right?)

Actually, I think you're underreacting. I would edit your statement to
say, "...render its targets unbootable or worse." Malware authors and
others who might have bad intentions for your hardware generally want it
to keep working.

fsr