:: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: fsmithred
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Bad UEFI: was Systemd at work: rm -rf EFI
On 02/05/2016 01:20 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 18:33:44 +0100
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
>>      People have always expected rm -rf / to destroy the OS. They
>> also know that, from the keyboard, with root priviledge, they can
>> destroy the partition table of the disk. All this is repairable by
>> the admin her/himself.

>>      The ability to brick the motherboard is brand new.

> Not only brand new, but an entirely new level of consequence.

<snip>

> With a well backed up machine, there is absolutely no comparison
> between loss of the system disk formatting and bricking of the mobo.
>
>> Therefore
>> admins should be seriously protected and warned against this
>> eventuality, at least until it percolates into the general culture.
>
> Yes.
>

> SteveT

Along those lines, we should probably be taking notes on what motherboards
are susceptible to this. Is there some way to test a motherboard to see if
it's brickable this way without actually bricking it?

Did anyone get the model number of the MSI notebook in the original thread
at the Arch linux forum before that thread disappeared?

fsr