:: Re: [DNG] Change netman into anothe…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Change netman into another name.
On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 10:39:17PM +0100, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> If the new name is not unique, it doesn't help much to rename netman
> as potential users will still find difficulty locating it.

You really want a name that lets an user googling for it show only related
pages -- as this is what users do when they have trouble. Sadly, "netman"
is already taken by a quite large number of software projects and services.

> One particular reply suggested me to upload the source tarball to sf.net
> which is a good idea and which I am considering.

Sounds redundant with github to me.

> I am trying to help potential users of netman, because writing an open
> source software project just to upload it somewhere where it is
> virtually inaccessible, does not make sense especially considering the
> many hours I sacrificed to write and debug it.
>
> Please, stop associating my motivation to make netman known to stroke
> my ego: this is NOT the case. At my age, I do not need to stroke my
> ego, but I do want others to benefit from my own work even though I
> will not get paid for it. This is the spirit of writing projects for
> causes like Devuan.

Having more users means more testers, more contributors. Thus, you do
benefit from having your software widely available.

I'd strongly recommend not making netman Devuan-specific. If you get it
into Debian, it will migrate to most derivatives. And even a small
percentage of that is some serious user base.

At first, I'd propose putting the package into experimental, until you
consider it ready for wider use.

As there are DDs on this mailing list, having netman accepted into Debian is
something we can help with.

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.