:: Re: [DNG] Lightweight media/video p…
Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Lightweight media/video player
On 2016-01-27 13:29 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

> A playlist handler is a programming 101 assignment enabling you to load
> playlists and navigate within them, and while you're at it go backward
> and forward in your current song.

> My point is this: If a music player has anything but the most
> rudimentary dependencies, those dependencies promote either "pretty",
> or stuff outside the core competency of a music player.

I respectfully disagree.

I like to handle my music in terms of performers, composers, and titles;
_not_ filenames. Thus some kind of database storing the collected tag
information from the files seems completely appropriate to me. (Ideally
this would be sqlite so I can browse it with generic SQL tools, like
python :-Q )

This is why I like mpd; it does this, unlike other simple text based
players, like moc which I used before.

Also, the separation of playlist/queue handling and actual audio output
may not be as clean as you present it. Think about cross-fading for
example (not that I ever use it, but mpd can do it IIRC).