:: Re: [DNG] Apparently Jessie has run…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Apparently Jessie has runit
Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:20:26 -1000
> Joel Roth <joelz@???> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > How complicated is it to port such scripts to runit? Exim4's
> > init.d script is 275 lines.
> >
> > Joel
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> According to http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html#exim , Runit's
> run script for Exim should be:

> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/local/sbin/exim -bdf -q30m

> Because the preceding doesn't contain "exec 2>&1", I would guess that
> Exim does its own logging and doesn't need Runit to provide a log for
> the Exim daemon.

Thanks. Yes I eventually stumbled on this. And as you say,
it is possible to drill down through the init script to
get just a few essential lines and environment settings.

I guess the biggest problem is that I have 78 working init
scripts, so it would be a gradual process to switch over to
runit. I guess if I can start runit under sysvinit, I could
move services one by one.

Like you, I don't expect to run heavy-weight GUI
environment, so I think a lot of fat could be cut away. Just
that it's also running code ;-)

I hope I can find time to fiddle with this.

Joel