:: Re: [DNG] Debian is endorsed by Mic…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Arnt Karlsen
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Debian is endorsed by Microsoft
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:46:55 +0100, Didier wrote in message
<56A0EF5F.3050705@???>:

> Le 21/01/2016 13:08, Simon Hobson a écrit :
> > What if we s/Microsoft/Rackspace/
> > (you can use pretty well any hosting outfit really)
> > The basic underlying thing that this announcement shows is that
> > ${company} now supports ${OS} on it's hosting platform. Yes, the
> > sole reason they are doing it where ${OS}==Debian is because they
> > think there's money to be made from it. I think you'll find that
> > most of the hosting outfits are in it to make money - sorry if the
> > idea that someone is allowed to make a profit upsets some sensitive
> > types.
>
>      I don't know for Rackspace.

..learn ;o):
http://www.groklaw.net/search.php?query=Rackspace+&keyType=phrase&datestart=&dateend=&topic=0&type=all&author=0&mode=search

> But MS has a specific log of trying to kill FOSS and specifically
> Linux, by *all means*, including technical locking and abuse of law.

..drumroll please, _I_ ;o) suggested we put "Microsoft Litigation" here:
http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=2005010107100653
aaand on the left hand stortcut menu, where it has gained an extra
"s" since "my post-Groklaw" litigation took off.

..the _appearant_ importance of #550,000 over rounder figures like
#500,000, #600,000, #700,000, #800,000 etc in e.g.
https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2015/08/index.en.html#newdpn
also have me doubt the other "Once upon a time"-tales of "Microsoft
support of Debian 8 only" and "only since March 2015" etc that I
see here.

..the US 5 M$ Microsoft reported spending on "combating computer
viruses" to the SEC for Q3-2003 and the US 106M$ they squirmed
away to their TSG etc proxy litigation in that same SEC filing for
that same Q3-2003 quarter, speaks volumes of their intentions,
is why we said "Always, Always, Always Follow The Money." ;o)
http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=20030831174259231

> I haven't seen any sign they're going to give up anytime soon on that
> fight, and I don't think here is such a sign: they earn a lot of
> profit and the little more they can gain with Linux on Azure is
> completely negligible in comparison with the strategic goal of
> killing Linux.
>
>      Maybe MS haven't any legal means to forbid their employees to
> work for Linux during their free time. Otherwise, they have other
> reasons to tolerate it.

..such "tolerance" is done mostly "to know thy enemy", it's also
quite handy for luring in e.g. patent litigation poisons, "good"
design ideas, "binary [in the chemical warfare sense] poisons"
etc tools to scuttle e.g. GNU, Debian etc Linux, e.g. by telling
e.g. our dear Lennart tall stories about "How the War on Terror
Desperately Needs Secret National Security Backdoors in Linux"
etc. Etc. Explains their zeal, etc.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: