:: Re: [DNG] Apparently Jessie has run…
Author: Mat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Apparently Jessie has runit
On 20/01/16 20:57, Steve Litt wrote:
> People aren't completely alone on run scripts: I can give them any run
> scripts I'm using. Also, Runit run scripts are *nothing* like sysvinit
> or OpenRC init scripts: Most are five lines or less, few are over 10
> lines.

As I mentioned before, I run quite a bunch of Debian servers (wheezy and
jessie) with runit as both process supervisor and init system. To
simplify deployment I wrote small debian packages for my run scripts.
It's definitely not production ready, but it's been working for me for
years.

My packages work by diverting the original /etc/init.d/XX script and
replacing it with a link to /usr/bin/sv, so it's plugs in quite nicely
in debian (i.e. you can still call /etc/init.d/XX {start|stop}).

If anyone want to have a look at a possible way of integrating runit
with debian and experiment with it, I have an apt repository[1] and the
sources online[2].

[1] https://parad0x.org/apt/
[2] https://parad0x.org/git/debian-run/

I'm not sure that this kind of packaging is the way forward for devuan
though, it can be heavy to have to maintain sysv startup scripts and run
scripts for all services. I'd love to have a discussion on supporting
multiple init systems at some point (after stable is released).

PS: watch out with the runit-init package, it's a bit brutal/broken,
since it replaces /sbin/{reboot|halt|shutdown} with runit equivalents,
it's tricky to do a clean initial reboot after the package is installed
when the system still runs from sysvinit. I'll fix this when I get the time.

Cheers,

--
Mat <mat@???>