:: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ende…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ended
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 00:04:25 +0100
richard lucassen <mailinglists@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 14:44:59 -0000
> "dev1fanboy" <devuanfanboy@???> wrote:

> > So I assume lilo has stopped development altogether from the last
> > release, and we can look forward to only having the more complex
> > grub2.
>
> Unless you use a small ext2 boot partition for your kernels. And for
> raid: if you create an md device for /boot/ with --metadata=0.90 then
> lilo will still work.

That ext2 must be on a smaller than 2TB disk, unless you want to throw
away some of the disk's capacity. For a desktop, this is no problem: Do
what I do and have / on a little MBR formatted SSD, with /home and /var
and other stuff that actually writes often on a large, UEFI formatted
disk.

For laptops it's a little harder because you can't (AFAIK) boot modern
windows with an MBR disk, and you must have a functional Windows to
maintain your ability to access warranty parts replacement.

With old laptops, I just jettison the Windows and mbr format the disk;
heck, I have no warranty anyway.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28