:: Re: [DNG] Does dunst require dbus?
Author: Simon Wise
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Does dunst require dbus?
On 17/01/16 08:08, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 15:32:11 -0500
> Mitt Green<mitt_green@???> wrote:
>
>> Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not for a moment suggesting Devuan should remove Debian's libdbus
>>> dependency. We have bigger fish to fry.
>>
>> $ apt-cache rdepends libdbus-1-3
>> libdbus-1-3
>> Reverse Depends:
>> (...)
>> 436 packages at all on my Unstable
>
> [slitt@mydesk ~]$ xbps-query -RX dbus-libs | wc -l
> 139
> [slitt@mydesk ~]$
>
> Yeah, Devuan, Void or practically anywhere else, at this point trying
> to remove dbus is like jousting windmills.
>
> Of course, on good distros, you don't have to actually start dbus :-)

I've seen a lot of apps that will accept dbus if you want to use it, but do not
require it ... this seems reasonable, dbus is just one of the options for
communicating with it, and they might then require the lib.

But recently discovered that xfce4-terminal loses critical functionality without
a session dbus running (it no longer connects to the cut buffer and clipboard
... which really destroys its functionality). I dropped it in favour of
roxterminal which is very similar, based on the same engine I believe, but it
does the cut buffer and clipboard etc directly, as it should. It does connect to
a session bus if it exists, and communicates appropriately ... just that the
only thing it does if one does not exist is print a line to stderr then get on
with everything else.

It seems the author may be abandoning it though, which is a pity.

Simon