:: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseA…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon Wise
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseAudio...
On 18/01/16 12:34, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 18/01/16 14:11, Brad Campbell wrote:
>> On 18/01/16 02:23, Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>>> In all fairness, I've found few softwares as difficult to install and
>>> get right as Jack. In fact, of the five times I've tried to install it
>>> on various distros, I've succeeded zero times.
>>>
>>> So I'd settle for Pulse (or ALSA or OSS) over Jack simply because I can
>>> actually get those installed.
>>

>> Jack is one of those interesting cases. That you could not get it to
>> work indicates you don't need it. If you needed it then you'd figure it
>> out. If you need Jack it's because any of the other 'sound systems' are
>> useless to you. Real time (ie multi-track studio work) is one of those
>> instances (actually it's the only one I can think of).
>>
>> Interestingly, installing Jack for me on Debian systems was a matter of
>> download, compile, install and run. No frustration required. Probably
>> because the hardware and drivers I was using was the sort of stuff Jack
>> was written for.
>>
> I've usually deployed it by `apt-get install jackd1` or `apt-get install
> jackd2`
>
> But Wheezy was the last one I' deployed it to... But I've had no issues
> apart from having to force alsa to set the card order and setting up
> multi-card configurations is a bit painful.

installing it is one step ... but you will not get sound from your desktop apps
to your speakers without setting things up to achieve that. Normally using Jack
you will have a number of other apps in the chain ... say processing some audio
path, or a gui to set the mix, or a matrix of some sort that connects all the
elements in your audio chain.

Many find the everything-in-one-app approach easier (and learn to match their
ambitions to the workflows and plugins available) but jack offers the advantages
of linking lots of small apps (each built along the unix line of making a
program do one thing and do it well) and allowing the user to arrange the ones
they prefer in the configuration they want. Which takes a little work on the
part of the user to set it all up.

Simon