著者: Steve Litt
To: dng
新しいトピック: [DNG] Jack or Pulse, [DNG] What JACK is and isn't (was: Re: Slackware now uses PulseAudio...)
題目: Re: [DNG] Slackware now uses PulseAudio...
On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:25:53 +0000
Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> Emiliano Marini <emilianomarini82@???> writes:
> > Word from Eric Hameleers, one of the main Slackware maintainers (AKA
> > alienbob):
> >
> >> "...you have to have PA installed because applications are now
> >> linking against it. What you can still do is configure PA to be an
> >> input channel for ALSA and leave ALSA to control your hardware.
> >> But generally speaking I would not recommend that unless you have
> >> high audio quality standards (being a musician or an audiophile)
> >> in which case you should look at Jackd anyway instead of just ALSA
> >> or PA.
>
> [...]
>
> This is actually really remarkable statement. I understand this
> basically as "If you don't really care about audio quality, pulseaudio
> is surely good enough for you", IOW, "despite pulseaudio is anything
> but good at doing the job it's supposed to be used for, it's surely
> sufficient for 'consumers'".

In all fairness, I've found few softwares as difficult to install and
get right as Jack. In fact, of the five times I've tried to install it
on various distros, I've succeeded zero times.

So I'd settle for Pulse (or ALSA or OSS) over Jack simply because I can
actually get those installed.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28