:: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Inter…
Author: Jude Nelson
To: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Interface Names - Stupid or good idea?
> Isn't the initial identification of network adapters and assignment
originally handled by the Kernel or is this another urban myth that I have
mistakenly hung on to?

Yes--network interfaces are given a monotonically-increasing sequence
number as they are enumerated (e.g. the X in ethX and wlanX). However, X
isn't guaranteed to refer to the same NIC across boots.

> I've only run into mac duplication a couple of times in my life thus far.

That's why vdev also accepts a sysfs device path, which is guaranteed to
persist across boots provided that the device remains on the same bus :)

-Jude