:: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Inter…
Author: Anto
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Interface Names - Stupid or good idea?

On 09/01/16 19:44, shraptor wrote:
> On 2016-01-09 19:17, Anto wrote:
>
>> On the topic. It would be quite interesting how vdev will be (or is)
>> managing this network interface naming assignment. Do you have any
>> comment on this, Jude?
>
> vdev uses by default old naming convention but has a file
> called /etc/vdev/ifnames.conf where you can set names arbitrarily.
>
> Example ifnames.conf that is auto-generated at compile time
> (only covered up my mac addresses)
>
> # Format:
> # PERSISTENT_INTERFACE_NAME mac|devpath MATCH_ARGUMENT
> # * PERSISTENT_INTERFACE_NAME is the persistent name of the network
> interface
> # * If the second argument is "mac", then MATCH_ARGUMENT is the
> colon-separated MAC address
> # * If the second argument is "devpath", then MATCH_ARGUMENT is the
> device path to the NIC in sysfs
> #
> # Example: a wireless USB dongle, to be named "wlan-edimax"
> #
> # Using the "mac" match:
> # wlan-edimax mac 80:1F:02:D3:B2:83
> #
> # Using the "devpath" match:
> # wlan-edimax devpath
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.0
>
> eth0 mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> wlan0 mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Thanks shraptor,

It looks good to me.

I have been trying to do the same on udev to have persistent interface
name according to the MAC address, e.g. by following the tips on
http://wiki.networksecuritytoolkit.org/nstwiki/index.php/Network_Setup_Tips,
but no joy so far. Perhaps it always fails because I am using eudev
instead of systemd-udev. So I just use the workaround to have
net.ifnames=0 on my kernel command line until we have vdev package on
Devuan repository.

Cheers,

Anto