Emne: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Interface Names - Stupid or good idea?
Having dealt with systems with half a dozen interfaces in the past there's
a very small number of cases where it even matters, but when it does, it
can be a huge inconvenience either way.

Their (for once, rational) argument is that Interface names of existing
interfaces should never change by adding or removing hardware from the
system, or as a result of hardware/software quirks (on some systems,
interfaces are known to swap places on reboot, which is clearly not
acceptable).

There are numerous approaches to dealing with interface names - off the top
of my head I can come up with the following

1 - detect the current name by mac address and use shell script variables
to deal with it.
2 - have udev issue automatic persistent names by bus location
3 - have udev issue automatic persistent names by mac address
4 - have udev issue manual (admin-chosen) persistent names by bus location
5 - have udev issue manual (admin-chosen) persistent names by mac address
6 - do nothing, blindly use the traditional interface names and hope it
doesn't break due to some event reordering the interfaces
7 - detect the current name based on what other devices are visible via
each interface / which devices can reach the internet
8 - name interfaces by driver family (IIRC, default behavior of some *BSDs)

Bus location is a sensible default in newly installed systems, because it
provides reasonable guarantees that names won't shift on their own. It
shouldn't automatically change from traditional names to these names on an
installed system though, because then you've just caused the very problem
you are supposedly trying to solve.

Dealing with possibly shifting interface names in firewall scripts is
certainly an option, but dealing with it in udev is far more elegant, and
in the long run, much friendlier to the admin. It's easy to fix these names
to an admin-defined name by bus location or mac address as needed